整個世界了嗎?”
“do you imagine this is the whole world?”
媽媽問道;
asked the mother;
“等你們看到花園就知道了;花園一直延伸到牧師的田地那邊,但我從來沒敢去過那麼遠的地方。
“wait till you have seen the garden; it stretches far beyond that to the parson’s field, but I have never ventured to such a distance.
你們都出來了嗎?”
Are you all out?”
她邊說邊站了起來;
she continued, rising;
“不,我敢說,最大的那個蛋還在那兒呢。我想知道這還要持續多久,我都厭煩透了;”
“No, I declare, the largest egg lies there still. I wonder how long this is to last, I am quite tired of it;”
然後她又在窩裡坐了下來。
and she seated herself again on the nest.
“嗯,你們過得怎麼樣?”
“well, how are you getting on?”
一隻來拜訪她的老鴨問道。
asked an old duck, who paid her a visit.
“還有一個蛋沒孵出來呢,” 母鴨說,“它就是不破。
“one egg is not hatched yet,” said the duck, “it will not break.
不過看看其他的小鴨子,它們難道不是你見過的最可愛的小鴨子嗎?
but just look at all the others, are they not the prettiest little ducklings you ever saw?
它們長得和它們那狠心的爸爸一模一樣,他從來都不來看一眼。”
they are the image of their father, who is so unkind, he never es to see.”
“讓我看看這個孵不破的蛋,” 老鴨說;
“Let me see the egg that will not break,” said the duck;
“我肯定這是個火雞蛋。
“I have no doubt it is a turkey’s egg.
我曾經被說服去孵過一些火雞蛋,我費盡心思照顧那些小火雞,可它們怕水。
I was persuaded to hatch some once, and after all my care and trouble with the young ones, they were afraid of the water.
我嘎嘎叫,咯咯喚,但都無濟於事。
I quacked and clucked, but all to no purpose