關燈 巨大 直達底部
親,雙擊螢幕即可自動滾動
第51章 陀螺與球 The Top and Ball

《陀螺與球》,1844 年

the top and ball, 1844

一個陀螺和一個小球一起放在一個盒子裡,和其他玩具放在一起,陀螺對球說:“我們住在同一個盒子裡,我們結婚好嗎?”

A whipping top and a little ball lay together in a box, among other toys, and the top said to the ball, “Shall we be married, as we live in the simple box?”

但是這個球,穿著摩洛哥皮革做的外衣,自視甚高,就像其他年輕小姐一樣,甚至都不屑於回答。

but the ball, which wore a dress of morocco leather, and thought as much of herself as any other young lady, would not even condescend to reply.

第二天,這些玩具所屬的小男孩來了,他把陀螺塗成了紅黃相間的顏色,還在中間釘了一顆銅頭釘,這樣當陀螺旋轉起來的時候,看起來非常漂亮。

the next day came the little boy to whom the playthings belonged, and he painted the top red and yellow, and drove a brass-headed nail into the middle, so that while the top was spinning round it looked splendid.

“看看我。” 陀螺對球說。

“Look at me,” said the top to the ball.

“你現在怎麼說?

我們彼此訂婚好嗎?

我們會很般配的;你能彈起來,我能跳舞。

沒有人會比我們更幸福的。”

“what do you say now?

Shall we be engaged to each other?

we should suit so well; you spring, and I dance.

No one could be happier than we should be.”

“真的嗎!你這麼認為?

也許你不知道我的父親和母親是摩洛哥拖鞋,而且我的身體裡有一塊西班牙軟木塞。”

“Indeed! do you think so?

perhaps you do not know that my father and mother were morocco slippers, and that I have a Spanish cork in my body.”

“是的;但我是用桃花心木做的。” 陀螺說。

“Yes; but I am made of mahogany,” said the top.

“是少校親自車制我的。

他自己有一臺車床,對他來說這是一項很大的消遣。”

“the major himself turned me.

h